Our Emerging Leaders 2022 intake is now open for applications
During this challenging programme an Emerging Leader will be provided with an opportunity to build and develop their core business acumen, leadership capability and expand their natural strengths. They will work with a cohort of peers, providing them with a platform of networks for the future.
Series One 2022 : FULLY SUBSCRIBED
24-25 February - Influence & Behaviour
28 - 29 April - Delegation & Communication
1 - 2 June - Principles of Strategy
Series Two 2022 : FULLY SUBSCRIBED
26-27 May - Influence & Behaviour
16-17 June - Delegation & Communication
28-29 July - Principles of Strategy
Series Three 2022 : APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
25-26 August - Influence & Behaviour
29-30 September - Delegation & Communication
27-28 October - Principles of Strategy
Series One 2023 : APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
30-31 March - Influence & Behaviour
27-28 April - Delegation & Communication
25-26 May - Principles of Strategy
Series Two 2023 : APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
29-30 June - Influence & Behaviour
27-28 July - Delegation & Communication
24-25 August - Principles of Strategy
Emerging Leaders Scholarship
Our commitment to the future of leadership in New Zealand
The New Zealand Institute of Management and Leadership are proud to offer the Emerging Leaders Scholarship to aspiring leaders of New Zealand.
The NZIM Emerging Leaders Scholarship is valued at $5000 + and includes:
• Emerge Capability Assessment
• Six days of professional development
• One to one consultation
• Access to online learning
• Career mapping
• Graduation celebration.
The Emerging Leaders Scholarship forms part of the Emerging Leaders application process and is only available to NZIM subscribers (subject to suitability assessment). Applications are now open.
Emerge Capability Assessment
Our unique Emerge Assessment system will support the Emerging Leader and their manager to make the right development choices, provide them with constructive feedback and ensure they are developing leadership capability in the key areas that will provide them with the greatest professional growth opportunities.
The Emerge Assessment system examines eight key results areas:
2. Empowerment of others
7. Commercial acumen
The series of personalised questions probe and deepen the understanding of individual development opportunities. Managers also receive an assessment to complete, adding to the robustness of the system.
Six days of professional development
Three two-day workshops delivered monthly over a three month period in Christchurch. These programmes are:
Workshop 1: Influence & Behaviour (Self)
The foundation workshop of the Emerging Leaders programme focuses on understanding you as a leader. How do you behave, respond, relate, communicate, influence? What effect does your behaviour have on your team? How can awareness of 'self' lead to better leadership results?
- Define what leadership means to you
- Identify the traits you value in good leaders
- Leverage the E's & the P's
- Communicate clear expectations through your ability to influence others
- Define, build and relate to your tribe
- Clearly distinguish between influence and persuasion
- Understand styles of influence and how you can change your communication to meet the needs of others.
Workshop 2: Delegation & Communication (Others)
One of the most powerful tools of an effective leader is the ability to reallocate duties, tasks or responsibilities in a manner that allows their team to feel empowered and trusted and gives them opportunity to develop and grow. This workshop focuses on the complex dynamics of delegation and how, by supporting your team to shine, you are developing in your role as leader.
- Understanding the benefits of delegation
- Distinguishing between assigning routine work and delegation opportunities
- Understanding foundational leadership practices to enhance delegation opportunities
- Activating the empowerment potential of delegation
- Selecting and assigning tasks for delegation
- Utilising delegation to benefit individuals, teams and the organisation
- Developing employees capacity to manage complex tasks.
Workshop 3: Strategy (Organisation)
Strategy is a fundamental in every organisation. Understanding the principles of strategy will allow you to develop a robust business plan, taking full advantage of your organisation's strengths and capabilities. Build your understanding to ensure you can be part of the process, be it, creating, implementing or challenging strategy.
This programme reviews a number of proven global strategic frameworks. Learn to build an internal response to an external environment, ensuring you are commercially aware and responsive.
- Increase your awareness of the global influence in strategy
- Define a number of strategic models
- Build your confidence in the implementation of strategy
- Learn to define a strategic need
- Understand the importance in the execution of strategy
- Develop the knowledge to engage in strategic conversations
- Increase your knowledge of commercial gains from strategy.
One to One Consultation
The sharing and implementation of programme out-takes are a vital aspect of the Emerging Leaders Programme. Following each workshop module Emerging Leaders have a one-to-one consultation with a NZIM Leadership Consultant to recap programme out-takes, reflect on wins and challenges and review professional (and personal) goals.
$2,530 including GST NZIM Subscriber
NZIM Emerging Leaders Scholarship Programme is proudly supported by the New Zealand Institute of Management and Leadership and is only available to NZIM subscribers. Not a member? For further information about a corporate subscription with NZIM please click here.
This is a unique partially funded scholarship opportunity designed for emerging leaders under 35 years of age in full or part time employment see full Terms and Conditions below.
Once you make the decision to become an Emerging Leader you will complete the following steps:
1. Complete the online application form
2. We will send you and your manager our online Emerge Assessment
3. We will arrange a time to review your assessment with you and your manager and together we will determine your development pathway
4. Post each programme we will make an agreed time for a programme review call
5. Upon completion of the Emerging Leaders Scholarship programme you will be invited to a graduation celebration.
For further information or assistance in regards to the Emerging Leaders Programme, phone NZIM on 0800 287 246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
"I really enjoyed the opportunity to be a part of the Emerging Leaders Programme. I was grateful to be given the opportunity by my organisation to be a part of it and have enjoyed the learning that I've achieved out of it. The programme being structured as three different courses has allowed me to gain different experiences and knowledge that I've been able to take back to my role and my organisation as a whole". - Ester Nicolay, Group Corporate Services Manager, TPT Group
It is really hard to put into words how valuable I have found this Emerging Leaders course. I am already looking back on it and viewing it as a real turning point for my company, career and ultimately life. - September 2019
The Emerging Leaders programme was very valuable for me. The content was interesting and relevant and I'm excited to start putting my learnings into practice. - October 2020
My cohort was brilliant. I found it so useful to share and compare experiences with others and learnt a lot from them. - September 2020
Terms and Conditions:
- Applications for Emerging Leaders Scholarships must be made through the online Application Form.
- Applicants must be in paid employment either full or part time.
- Applicants must be a Permanent Resident and have a right to work in New Zealand.
- Applicants can be self-funded or employer-funded.
- Scholarships can only be used for Emerging Leaders programmes only.
- Applicants must be under 35 years of age.
- An organisation can nominate more than one applicant.
- We will provide a Scholarship in the form of subsidised course fees for six days of training. Cost to applicant: $2,530 including GST (NZIM subscriber).
- The fee for the training programmes will be invoiced and must be paid prior to the course commencement. Scholarship excludes travel or accommodation, (participant's own cost).
- All Scholarship training must be completed within six months of starting.
- The applicant and their manager must both complete the online assessment as part of the Scholarship conditions.
- Each applicant gives their permission for their photo and details to be promoted on the website and any other literature that may be relevant to the Scholarship.
- Scholarships are not transferable.
- Applicants will be invited to attend a graduation celebration on completion of the relevant training programmes.
- Cancellations may be made more than 30 days before the start date of the Emerging Leaders programme, a 10% administration fee will be charged.
- There will be no refund if cancellation is received within 30 days of the start date of the Emerging Leaders programme. However, a member from the same organisation who meets the application criteria may substitute the registered participant.
- All cancellations and substitutions must be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com
- Failing to attend incurs the full fee with no refund